Published by Peggy on 03 Aug 2011 at 11:28 am
Around 18 people (social workers, social entrepreneurs, social media experts, CSR manager and volunteers) joined the first WiserLocal in India’s National Capital region of New Delhi at “MoonLighting” on 9th July 2011. This gathering highlighted projects focusing on social development.
The event started with the introduction and a brief presentation about WiserLocals by Yatin Thakur, social entrepreneur and also editor for the WiserIndia group. Thanks to Yatin’s leadership and the support of others, this first event was one of many to come.
- Sonal Kapoor from Protsahan India Foundation talked about adopting and educating slum kids, empowering women and the impact of education to rural communities.
- Roshan Nair from Adarshila Learning Center, shared the work that Adarshila is doing. They are working towards developing e-learning solutions in tribal & rural areas in India. The team is led by some young professionals working in some leading multi corps.
- Mohammad Jamal from Viadesh shared how important it is to giving urban community a chance to spend time with citizens residing in rural areas in order to get a better understanding about their culture, mindset, environment and understand the gaps in the routine lives of rural households.
Connecting face to face
WiserLocals give the opportunities for individuals to share their initiatives but it is also an opportunity for like minded people to connect and network.
“While there were a few gaps in this first gathering, it was a great learning and interactive networking session for all the participants. We realized how important it is to connect at the local level so that we can support each other initiatives” Yatin , August 2nd 2011
We want to specifically extend our deep thank you to:
- Yatin for his leadership and vision of WiserIndia and WiserDelhi (@yatinthakur)
- Komal Arora for setting up the event
- MoonLighting space for offering their wonderful venue
Want to be part of the next gathering?
Want to organize your own WiserLocal gathering?
WiserLocal Gatherings are informal monthly gatherings for change-makers around the world. Participants are using these face-to-face gatherings for cross-sector collaboration and in particular to (i) exchange and learn about best practices, (ii) share what they are working on as well as their passions and ideas for changing the world, (iii) build friendships and alliances with like-minded people and with others working on similar issues, and (iv) work on initiatives or projects together. To date, there has been over 27 WiserLocal gatherings around the world.
Read up some more on organizing your own gathering, and contact Camilla at camilla[at]wiserearth.org.
|If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.|
Leave a Reply