Published by Timonie Hood on 12 Oct 2009 at 05:26 am
Car wrapping can take outreach to a new level while driving home new connections. Here’s an idea that’s definitely not preaching to the choir.
By adding a car wrap, any car can be converted into a full-body bumper sticker. Car wraps are thin adhesive plastic custom-printed with graphics, messages, website or event information. A car wrap completely covers the car and perforated panels can be used on the rear windows. Car wraps can totally change the color of a car, and can be removed without damaging the paint. They last 2 – 7 years, and can be ‘patched’ to update information.
I recently had my new Prius wrapped with a 350.org International Day of Climate Action design, created as part of a design competition. Based on my experience, car wraps offer tremendous outreach opportunities. I do feel guilty about the vinyl wrap material though and challenge product designers to develop more sustainable green car wraps.
Here are some tips for potential wrappers:
- Designing the wrap: Be sure to work with an experienced car wrap designer. Many car wrap shops have connections to designers and portfolios you can review. Keep the design simple so that your message is large enough to be seen when you’re on the road driving by at 55 mph!
- Crowdsourced wrap design: To share the message about your cause and (hopefully) get a great design, you can enter a brief in a car wrap design competition. This provides more opportunities to create buzz and you’ll be able to choose from multiple designs.
- Roland’s design competition runs through May 2010 and accepts free brief uploads. The 350.org International Day of Climate Action design I used was created by submitting a brief in this competition. The competition is giving away over $40,000 in prizes and draws talented designers. There have been four 350.org entries so far and 45 more are planned. There is a small fee if you choose to use a competition design, but it’s lower than a standard wrap design fee.
- Installing the Wrap: Once the design is finalized on your car templates, wrapping only takes 1-2 days and costs around $2,100. Discounted pricing is generally available for wrapping multiple vehicles.
- Rapping about the Wrap: I’ve found that people are really interested in learning about 350.org and car wraps. One person commented, “That’s a lot better than a car that says ‘Just Married.’” People walking by and even drive thru employees have started conversations with me about what 350 means – now that’s outreach!
Have you seen any other nonprofit car wraps? Please share your car wrapping for change ideas and suggestions.
|In case you haven’t heard – 350 is the most important number in the world – it’s what scientists say is the safe upper limit (350 parts per million) for carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. On October 24th, you can join people all over the world taking actions for a safe climate future. Visit: http://www.350.org|
|If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.|
4 Responses to “Taking Your Message to the Streets”
Leave a Reply