Published by Peggy on 02 Aug 2011 at 02:19 pm
Last week the UN declared famine has hit two regions in southern Somalia, and experts believe the situation will only grow worse as no significant rainfall is expected until 2012. Join WiserEarth in becoming part of the solution!
Two-Day Virtual Fundraiser
Join environmental organizations, websites, and bloggers and social-media mavens for a two-day virtual fundraiser to raise money and awareness around the crisis in the Horn of Africa, where 13million people are severely impacted by the worst drought in over sixty years.
Participating this weekend are Oxfam International , WiserEarth, tcktcktck, deSmog Blog, MIT Climate CoLab, Climate Change: The Next Generation, MedicMobile, and RedGreenAndBlue.org. The Nonprofit Press has volunteered to send out a press release to engage more participants. Participants are selecting their own organizations for fund raising.
DailyKos blogathon | Médecins Sans Frontières
Proceeds from the August 6-7 DailyKos blogathon will directly support the work of Médecins Sans Frontières to assist their work in Kenya’s Dadaab refugee camp clinics, now home to thousands of Somali. MSF has been working in Somalia for two years. Yesterday, MSF announced an immediate need for medication to handle the outbreak of measles in the camp, which is now the size of a small city.
Ways to Participate
- Post a blogathon (DailyKos bloggers will be working 24×7 beginning 6am Saturday, August 6)
- Write an article about the situation or (cross post the main DailyKos article) and include the graphic which will link directly to donation page.
- Post the “A Weekend of Hope for East Africa: Oct 6-7” ‘twibbon/graphic on your site/Twitter, Google + or Facebook account
- Participate in publicizing the event through social networking.
- Volunteer to distribute press release to media contacts
Contact us soon to express your interest in participating and we will send a copy of the ‘twibbon’ and a press release early next week.
Over 11 million people needing immediate help now.
To participate contact firstname.lastname@example.org
|If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.|
One Response to “Horn of Africa Famine: Blogathon 6-7 August”
Leave a Reply