Published by Kerry on 11 Aug 2010 at 11:10 am
It’s official! WiserEarth has been selected as a 10:10 global partner organization. And as part of the campaign, which engages every sector of society to cut carbon emissions by 10%, we’re committing to go carbon neutral this year.
Why it’s critical
Carbon emissions are changing our climate forever, and endangering the livability of the planet, so it’s time to get started! The goal is to cut 10% emissions starting in 2010, and every year from now on.
Since 10:10′s launch in September 2009, they’ve had over 92,000 signups for the campaign from individuals, businesses, and other organizations, pledging to cut their emissions by 10%. The campaign began in the UK and quickly went global, now including individuals from 128 countries. It’s great to see that countries around the world recognize the importance of preserving our climate!
WiserEarth and 10:10 official partnership
As an official global partner, WiserEarth joins a select group of high profile climate activist organizations, such as the Global Campaign for Climate Action, UNEP’s Climate Neutral Network, GoodPlanet, Green My Parents, Four Years. Go, and 350.org, sponsor of the 10/10/10 Global Work Parties.
As part of this campaign, members of WiserEarth are hard at work brainstorming collaborative solutions for the 10:10 campaign. Please join the conversation at the WiserEarth 10:10 group and help us make this happen! WiserEarth and 10:10 will also work closely together to seed 10:10 in Indonesia and Brazil, where we have networks, in addition to our headquarters in California, with more to come!
We’ll also be supporting and promoting the Global Day of Action on 10/10/10!
A few quick ways to start helping, right now:
- Join the 10:10 campaign to show your support.
- Join the WiserEarth 10:10 group to collaborate and add your voice.
- Read about straightforward ways to cut carbon, and make the cuts!
- If you’re feeling really inspired, assist or launch a 10:10 campaign in your country!
There are many ways to reduce your carbon footprint! Some suggested ideas are:
- Turn lights and appliances off when you aren’t using them.
- Reduce water consumption.
- Consume less meat, dairy, and imported or processed food.
- Drive your car less by biking or taking public transportation.
- If you need to purchase something, buy used items.
If you’re excited to go even further, you may want to consider the following:
- Garden in a community garden or plant trees
- Install solar panels – check out 1 Block off the Grid
- Encourage your office and local businesses to adopt sustainable practices
- Support the development of carbon reduction technologies in transportation and electricity
- Send messages to local and/or federal politicians to support important climate change legislation
Cutting carbon at WiserEarth
We also want to lead by example as an organization. In the last year, we’ve cut our emissions through reducing our servers from five to three, despite increasing complexity of the features we provide. We were able to do so by optimizing the efficiency of our software. In addition, we moved them from Texas to a local town in California which makes direct maintenance possible. Our staff is small and flexible, telecommuting one or more days per week. We share conference rooms, use very little space, and often work using only natural light!
We are proud of our light footprint, but this year we pledge to do even more. We are going carbon neutral: reducing our emissions from transportation, technology, and electricity as much as possible, and offsetting the rest.
We’re thrilled to be a part of this campaign! Join us in taking small steps to make a big difference.
Photo courtesy of 10:10
|If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.|
3 Responses to “WiserEarth partners with 10:10 campaign to reduce carbon emissions!”
Leave a Reply